Carleton Rode

Posted on 2017-06-14 10:41:03 by Barbara Slater

Welcome to our website. Let us know what we could do to improve the site, and feel free to send your village photos to crjubileehall@gmail.com...

NOW WE'RE ALSO ON FACEBOOK! The Facebook page is for Carleton Rode Jubilee Hall, but like this website, the aim is to provide information on activities throughout the community.

Fir Covert Community Wood

The community wood has been transformed thanks to the hard work of volunteers who began early last year removing piles of rubbish, trimming dead wood and opening a pathway around the area. Spring 2017 working parties have now finished, there is a second path cleared and plans are under way to clean out the pond. The next fundraiser in the wood will feature performances by the Jubilee Players on Saturday 1st July at 2 p.m., and on Sunday 2nd July at 3 p.m. Bring chairs and a picnic and settle down for some entertaining dramas in a beautiful setting... More detail on the Players' page.

The drawing match (that's a bit like a ploughing match, but prizes are awarded for the straightest single furrow) had to be postponed in 2016 due to the awful weather. It took place on Saturday 24 September, under less arduous conditions. The picture below shows you how lovely it can be in September.

 Carleton Rode

Carleton Rode is situated approximately five miles south-east of Attleborough. There is easy access from the village to the market towns of Attleborough, Wymondham and Diss, and via the A11 to Norwich. There are supermarkets in all the market towns, and Norwich has excellent shopping and entertainment.

The village is mentioned  in the Domesday Book (1086) where it is listed amongst the lands given to Roger Bigod by the king  (William the Conqueror). The manor included 30 acres (12.14 hectares) of land and two churches. Archaeological surveys over the past few years have shown that the oldest part of the village (around Rode Lane/Flaxlands) dates from Saxon times and that following the Black Death (1346–53) the centre of the village shifted towards the church. From 1808 to 1814 Carleton Rode hosted a station in the shutter telegraph chain which connected the Admiralty in London to its naval ships in the port of Great Yarmouth. Telegraph Farm on Upgate Street is named for this.

Harvesting

The present-day population of the village is around 730, occupying around 300 dwellings, and the village boundaries enclose an area of around 1091 hectares, or 4.21 square miles. It is still largely a very rural farming community, but with a significant self-employed and small business population. Recent development has tended to comprise barn conversions rather than new-build housing. Two small sites have been identified as providing space for the additional housing required by the current local plan (South Norfolk Council).

Rape field in spring

The last pub in the village closed in the early 1980s and social life today focuses around the village hall and social club, the church and the Baptist chapel. Neighbouring Bunwell has a general store, incorporating a post office, and butcher’s shop.

Hunts Green in the snow

For further information follow the links on the right.

Contact: crjubileehall@gmail.com